Velvet Crowe from Tales of Berseria

Velvet Crowe from Tales of Berseria

Despite being a longtime fan of JRPGs, I didn’t play a Tales game until Tales of Vesperia was released on the Xbox 360. I enjoyed it a great deal, and I was happy that its later release on the PlayStation coincided with a plethora of figures from Alter. That satisfaction subsequently evaporated when they never released a figure of Judith, undeniably the best character in the game. Nonetheless, I’ve since bought a few of their figures, including Milla Maxwell, who looks very nice, and Alicia, whose low-key role in Tales of Zestiria kindled its own form of discontent. I’ve also obviously bought this figure, which is from Kotobukiya, curiously, rather than Alter.

Velvet Crowe figure

Velvet Crowe is the protagonist of Tales of Berseria. That’s something of a departure from the norm for Tales games – and JRPGs in general, in fact, as most such games feature young males in the starring role. There have been more frontwomen in games in recent times, however, which is a nice change. Indeed, Velvet and Milla have been the main characters of two of the most recent Tales games, and the selection of female leads was fueled no doubt not just by an eagerness to rectify this gender inequity but also by the massive commercial opportunities afforded by attractive female characters.

Velvet Crowe figure

This figure is manufactured by Kotobukiya in 1/8 scale and stands about 19 centimeters in height. This is not a large figure and Velvet’s relatively realistic body proportions (that is, her head isn’t gigantic) means that this figure looks even smaller than it is. That said, while I don’t have Milla handy for a size comparison, she might look okay next to Alisha, which was also a fairly small figure, as I recall. Like many Kotobukiya figures, Velvet comes already attached to her base; virtually no preparation is needed to get her ready for display.

Velvet actually came in two editions; the standard edition, which is what I have here, and an exclusive edition sold by Kotobukiya directly. The limited version featured an additional left arm, which looked rather oversized and demonic. I didn’t really care for that so I skipped that version.

Velvet Crowe figure

Bandai Namco went with an interesting design for Velvet; rather than go with a refined and elegant appearance, Velvet looks grim and disheveled. Virtually none of her clothing is intact; her shorts, vest, socks, and coat are all badly tattered, making her look sort of like a particularly well-armed, medieval high school delinquent.

Velvet Crowe figure

Her face emphasizes her particular cheerlessness as she conveys no particular emotion; neither happiness nor sorrow nor anger.

Velvet Crowe figure

Despite her dour demeanor, the rest of the figure is rather more energetic. Her wideset stance gives her a threatening look – and emphasizes the length of her legs. Her massive ponytail is whipping around and her coat is splayed out behind her like a pair of wings. All in all her pose presents a nice contrast to her stoic expression.

Velvet Crowe figure

There’s a peculiar and ongoing war in the entertainment industry against scantily-clad female characters, but fortunately Bandai Namco has ignored all the whining and given Velvet a sexy appearance. She’s showing a lot of bare skin, with exposed midriff, underboob, and thighs. Her shorts also have an interesting cutout in the front which plunges down towards her crotch; it doesn’t look like she wears any underwear, which is kind of neat.

Velvet Crowe figure

A couple of other interesting aspects to her design are her weapon, which is a blade projecting out from her right forearm …

Velvet Crowe figure

… and her left arm, which is wrapped up like that one Bakemonogatari character. It can apparently transform into some sort of gigantic demon-looking arm, which was incorporated into the limited edition version of this figure, as previously mentioned. Having not played the game I’m not sure what the significance of her transformed arm might be, but I don’t think it looks particularly attractive.

Velvet Crowe figure

This is a great-looking figure that more than does justice to Velvet’s appearance. She looks fierce and sexy in equal portion, and her defiant stance shows a measure of aggression in spite of her dispassionate gaze. Pretty much the only thing I don’t care for regarding this figure is its size; it could stand to be a bit bigger, particularly since this figure received a fairly high price tag (it’s even more expensive now, admittedly). Nonetheless, I like this figure quite a bit; Kotobukiya did a fine job here.

Velvet Crowe figure
This entry was posted in Figure Review and tagged , , , , , .

9 Responses to Velvet Crowe from Tales of Berseria

1. Aya says:

Oh I didn’t know the demonic arm part is exclusive ahaha somehow reminds me with GSC shop Exclusive Bonus things XD.
    I know nothing about her but, when you said She’s the main character kinda surprising 😀 not because she’s a girl, but more because her appearances

• Tier says:

She does look kinda unconventional; it seems a lot of time that video game makers try to give the main character kind of a bland appearance, especially if the protagonist is male. Though I guess she could kinda pass for Squall Leonhart’s delinquent little sister.

2. TheDuskwalker says:

I need to finish this game, it’s pretty fun, and the best Tales since Vesperia. The game was quite a bit of fresh air for traditional JRPG’s, and more than just having a female protagonist. Her demonic arm is pretty important, won’t spoil anything but the section of the game at the beginning when she gets it was pretty cool, had almost a survival horror atmosphere to it.

I agree on Judith in Vesperia, such a shame that Namco ignore her. Though that’s become a theme with Namco and females people actually like, I still laugh that they actually put Natsu as the only Soul Calibur rep in the Project X Zone series despite the backlash both her and SCV in general got. Plus Lili doesn’t have a single piece of Tekken 7 merchandise despite being the most used female in the arcade version and placing second in there Tekken X Street Fighter facebook poll, and her TTT2 kotobukiya figure was apparently one of the best selling if not the best selling according to amazon. Someone just needs to smack there employees around. (Sorry about mini rant.)

• Tier says:

I guess I’ll be able to play it soon since I will finally be getting a PS4 to play Persona. It’s good to hear that the game is fun since I enjoyed Vesperia a lot (and I have Tales of Xillia sitting around here somewhere, along with a PS3 that I never actually took out of its box …).

Nah, I agree with your rant. I was hoping the PS3 port of Vesperia would come out in the US with the DLC, so I could dress up Judith like KOS-MOS, but that never happened (it would’ve been nice to get that DLC on the Xbox version, at least). And of course, there was that messy situation with Tales of Zesteria that I mentioned in the post. I did not watch the anime version but it seems like Alisha got more representation there, at least (though I am not positive about that).

• TheDuskwalker says:

I didn’t watch it either, but I hear it was better than the actual game. What was really bull about Alisha though is that with the Japanese version there was a week 1 paid Alisha epilogue expansion DLC that took place after the main game, that basically ended with a unfinished too be continued story. Supposedly Namco’s idea was getting Alisha popular before release after the series producer decided he wanted Rose to be the heroine over Alisha (he liked Rose’s VA better), and then use that popularity to get people to buy her epilogue DLC series. However, after huge backlash the followups were canceled and the DLC was made free day 1 DLC in the Western release.

Speaking of the mentioned producer (Hideo Baba), a little interesting fact. He has been the producer of the series since Graces (first game post Vesperia) until Zestiria. With Berseria they finally switched producers again and the quality shot back up. I found it interesting at just how important the producer role in video games can be.

• Tier says:

I remember reading about the DLC fiasco; what a mess that was. I suppose the backlash did lead to some good things in that Milla was a selectable main character and Velvet was the default main character of their games. Hopefully they continue that trend (I haven’t been keeping on JRPG news and I have no idea what the Tales team is up to these days).

Ha, that is interesting; I enjoyed Vesperia a lot and I assumed that the other games would be of at least equal quality. I still do mean to play through Xillia one of these days but I guess I’ll keep my expectations tempered, then.

• TheDuskwalker says:

Forgot to mention one thing on Alisha, she used the same weapon as Judith, which is another thing that made her early departure such a disappointment, Rose uses dual daggers. 🙁
            You also kept seeing Alisha’s weapons in shops far later in the game after her departure, so you could tell something fishy went on with development despite Baba original PR comments on the situation.

As long as they don’t bring Baba back. He actually said in a interview after Xillia released, I think with Gematsu, that he never had any intent of ever doing a single main female protagonist, then as soon as he leaves, that’s exactly what we get. With Xillia you can tell Milla probably wasn’t going to be a selectable main protagonist when development started. Her split up sections are less and shorter than Jude’s, and she misses major plot points during some of these, while in hers you never see much of importance. Plus the game still has a chapter where you’re forced to play as Jude for several hours even when you pick Milla.

Anyway, that’s all for my little facts about Tales of. XD
            Only thing I know going on with Tales now is a Tales game is coming to Switch. Assumed to be a port of Berseria.

3. snap says:

That layered ponytail though :E Fabulous

• Tier says:

She does have nice hair! They did a great job with that and with other little touches like all those holes and tears in her outfit.